History & Successes
Solo Marathon Swims:
- 25% Success Rate
- 12 Attempts (by 7 swimmers)
- 3 Completed Solo Marathon Swims (continuous unassisted shore to shore swims wearing only swim suit, cap, and goggles)
- September 1980, Cindy Cleveland, 15:21:00 (first trans-bay swim) from Cowell Beach to Lovers Beach (24 Miles)
- August 2014, Patti Bauernfeind, 13:00:00 (fastest solo crossing) from SC Harbor to San Carlos Beach (25 Miles)
- September 2014, Kim Rutherford, 22:06:00 (first South to North) from San Carlos Beach to SC Harbor (25 Miles)
- Bruckner Chase, 2010 (still the only male tran-bay swim in any category)
- UCSC: Multiple Relays from ~2000-2012
Swims went from Seabright (by the Harbor) to San Carlos Beach (25 miles). Times vary. MBSA is awaiting records from the USCS.
- Santa CRUZ Masters 2004, 2008, 2009
- In 2004 CRUZ (team unknown) swam from Santa Cruz to Monterey (time unknown).
- In 2008 CRUZ (8 person team) Randy Brown, Joel Swartz, Karah Nazor, Moby Coquillard, Jim Sweeny, Dan Sheridan, Judith Sheridan, Joel Wilson swam from Seabright to MB Aquarium (24 miles) in 9:27:00.
- In 2009 CRUZ (6 person team) Hendrik Meerman, Joel Wilson, Marta Bechhoefer, Michelle Macy, Tim Cespedes and Lizzie Miller swam from Seabright to San Carlos Beach (25 miles) in 10:29:00.
- SERC 2001
In 2001 SERC, (6 person team) Kristine Buckley, Colleen Vojvodich, Gary Emich, Dan Needham, Drew Downs, Laura Colette swam from Seabright to San Carlos Beach (25 miles ) in 12:24:16 .
- SERC & DOLPHIN CLUB 2004
In 2004 there was a mixed SERC and Dolphin Club relay that swam from Santa Cruz to Monterey. Details are unknown.
- West End Wharf Wine and Swim Club 2008 (attempted a mix wetsuit and skin relay that was aborted mid swim)
- NIGHT TRAIN SWIMMERS 2012 Crossed the bay on its way during their San Francisco to Santa Barbara Relay.
- KELP KRAWLERS 2015
August 23, 2015 Kelp Krawlers, (5 person team), Frank Reynolds, Thomas Dietrich, Michael Sharf, Paul Reynolds, Joe Schertler swam from Capitola to Lovers Beach (24 miles) in 10:20:55. This was the first MBSA sanctioned relay and the first relay to swim from Capitola to Lovers Beach.
- NADADORES LOCOS 2016
May 1, 2016, Nadadores Locos (6 person team), Andrew McLaughlin, Amy Gubser, Kirk McKinney, Les Mangold, John Sims, Jeff Everett swam from San Carlos Beach Monterey to Cowell Beach Santa Cruz (25.3 miles) in 13:41:32. This was the first RELAY from Monterey to Santa Cruz.
- SEA OTTER 6 - South End Rowing Club 2016
September 11, 2016, the Sea Otter 6 (6 person team), Asha Allen, Jane Mason, Becky Margulies, Jessica Moll, Leeann Borton, and Joy Hollenback swam from Cowell Beach Santa Cruz to Lovers Beach Monterey (24 miles) in 12:41:00. This was the first RELAY team to complete this swim entirely NAKED.
In 2016 MBSA revived the traditional Pier to Pier Swim race between the Capitola and Santa Cruz Wharfs. This swim was originally organized by Suzanne Riedinger and became an annual event organized by Joel Wilson.
- 2016 swimmers included Amy Gubser (3:24.43), Andrew McLaughlin (3:26.00), Eric Gutierrez (3:57.14), Tiffany McQueen (4:13.49), Cathy Harrington (DNF - < .75 from finish).
Angel More 20K Wharf to Wharf to Wharf Swim
On September 29 , 2016 13 year old Angel More completed a 20K swim from Capitola to Santa Cruz and Back. She started at the Capitola Wharf, swam 2 miles south (directly out to sea) then west toward Santa Cruz. After rounding the Santa Cruz Wharf and swimming to Cowell Beach, Angel did a U-turn and swam in reverse back to Capitola Beach. She completed the first 10K in 3:25 and finished in a time of 8 hours, 19 minutes.
Santa Cruz Wharf to Cement Ship (Seacliff Beach, Aptos):
The first know swim was from Cowell Beach to the Cement Ship by Suzanne Riedinger (date needs verification).
This swim has been done by several indiviuals and group over the past 15 years, including the Nadadores Locos swim club.
Patti Bauernfeind also completed this swim more than once (including a round trip) while training for the Monterey Bay and English Channel.